Berry – licious
Have you ever looked at the ingredients on your jellies and jams? They are often full of preservatives, thickeners, and artificial flavors. Below is a simple DIY jam recipe that is great on toast or PB&Js. Even though it takes a little while to cook down the berries, it makes a huge batch!
Mixed Berry Jam
7 cups frozen mixed berries
1 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
3 tablespoons cornstarch
- Combine berries, sugar and lemon juice in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Bring to a boil and cook berries for ~20 minutes, stirring frequently until berries have broken down and liquid is beginning to thicken.
- Put cornstarch in a small bowl. Pour ½ cup of berry liquid into the cornstarch and stir until smooth.
- Pour cornstarch mixture back into the saucepan and stir well to combine. Let cook another 2-3 minutes then remove from heat and let cool. Store in the refrigerator.
- Fresh berries can be used instead of frozen and should cook down a bit more quickly.
- Arrowroot powder can be substituted for cornstarch
Recipe by Kelly Gaines, MS RD LD